Saturday, May 03, 2008

Hi I'm Ross and I'm a Workaholic... II

Now that I was able to get enough sleep, let me expound on my last post.

I work in eTelecare, a call center in the Philippines. I started as an agent and after 2 1/2 years of taking calls, I was promoted to a team lead.

When I was an agent, we were given tasks by our direct supervisors. These tasks are normally their tasks but as is the practice in the company, we normally "help out" with our boss's tasks. This doesn't happen only to agents. The team leads are assigned tasks for the managers, the managers are assigned tasks for the directors...

It's a bad habit but everyone has gotten used to it that no one actually minds. There was an initiative before which asked everyone to focus on their job description but after a few weeks, things were back to the way they used to be. No one actually wanted to let go of the tasks assigned to them.

This includes me. I am tasked to maintain the program's roster and to assign the schedules to the agents. This is normally done by the managers but as mentioned above, the team leads do it. These tasks alone were not the reason I stayed in the office for mre than 32 hours. Of course, I still had other things to do. The main reason why I had to stay in the office for that long was because I was on leave for 2 days. The work will just ile up if I'm not there and no one else is going to do them so I had to finish everything before I left. That's the main reason I stayed so long.

It's an absurd situation. It's never ideal to have employees stay for more than their normal work hours. But this is for my future and I need to work hard.

No comments: