Saturday, May 31, 2008

Lakers in the Finals

I've never been much of a basketball fan. If and when I watch a game, I'd be hanging on to every word from the announcer so I can keep up with what's happening. I'd hear a referee's whistle and he'd make those gestures and it's all the same for me.

But recently, I've been following the progress of the Western Conference Playoffs. (I don't even know if I said it correctly.) Anyway, it became more exciting for me since I've started betting on the games. Actually, since I don't have a team and I really wouldn't know which team to choose, I let people bet on who they want and I'd be cheering for the other side, the team no one wouldn't want to bet on. Sounds crazy but it's been great so far. Spurs vs Lakers Game 4 was pivotal as a lot of people bet on the Spurs but Lakers won. Ergo, I won.

What's disappointing though. From the lines I've seen, Spurs was the underdog and given +8. Before the start of the game, the line went down to +7 or +7.5. The final score was Lakers ahead by exactly 8. The last shot by Sasha Vujacic changed the outcome for a whole lot of gamblers. Everyone who was watching the game knew it was in the bag for Lakers so there was no need to take the shot but I think that last shot was for the gamblers. Or it might be for the free tacos the audience will get if Lakers pass 100pts while keeping the opponent under 100pts. Or it might be out of inexperience on Sasha's part. Or it might be that they were just so damn happy. Whatever the reason is, I can't wait for the Finals!

No comments: