Sunday, April 27, 2008

Dreams

I remember the time when Air Supply released More Than Words and it was a big hit. All of my classmates started picking up guitars and it came to a point when every other person would be able to play it. Most would only be able to play the intro but it didn't matter.


Shortly after that, grunge started to pick up. And then came the whole pinoy rock revolution. All of a sudden, bands were getting played on air. I remember listening to LA 105.9 "The Rock of the World" where they would play virtually unknown bands. I even have a black shirt with an anarchy symbol on it and some fake Chuck Taylors cause I can't afford the originals. It was also the time when I was given a guitar. And it sparked in me every one's dream of being part of a band.

I studied and played and practiced until my fingers couldn't take it anymore. And as days became weeks then became months, it was clear that I had no future in the music industry and that the closest I'll be to being part of a band was if I joined a noon time show contest where I'll play farting noises from my armpits.

But though I've accepted that I'll never be in any way be part of a band people would actually want to listen to, there's still that part of me wishing for that life. Even after I've sworn off trying to play or even trying to write a song or even just trying to write lyrics, I will still want to be part of a band.

Which brings me to another point. It may be in people's nature to want what they don't have and in my case the band is not only what I wish for. I have lots of wishes which I never do something about. I brought this up because I've recently found the Philippine Blog Awards website. And I got the same feeling I had when I heard about the Philippine Web Awards and even the prestigious Palanca Awards, I wanted to win. It may be for validation and it may be for vanity but regardless of the reason behind it, I really wanted to win.

But we all know this will just be one of those things I will list in my Procratinators log. So instead, I want to wish good luck to all Philippine Blog Award Nominees and may all your blogs go unread for weeks.

No comments: