Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Written by Ross

When I was in High School I wrote a story for the school magazine. It was sort of a love story but since it was 11 years ago, the story's details are a little hazy. What I do remember about it is the positive reaction from the girls from the other school. That event actually made me believe that I was a good writer and it gave me confidence that I can make it a career.

Around the same time, I made a bet with a classmate that I'd get published in The Philippine Daily Inquirer's Youngblood section before he does. Neither of us had even sent an entry to this date.

A few years after High School, I tried to apply as a contributor for The Philippine Daily Inquirer's 2bU section. I wasn't accepted. At one point, I thought that I can be a writer for a magazine. I didn't even get the chance to apply because I couldn't find any openings.

An opportunity presented itself one day when my College friend who worked for The Philippine Star needed an article and I happened to be available. It was my first paid article. Since then, I've been getting assignments for Star every now and then. It wasn't enough to quit my day job but I'm just happy that my writings were getting printed.

This boosted my ego and I changed my goal. My goal was to win a Carlos Palanca Award. I thought that if I'm going to be a successful writer, an award would make my market value rise. So I aimed for a Palanca award. Problem is that I haven't attempted to write an entry.

But a conversation I had earlier would hopefully change my mind and give me the needed motivation to write. I have an officemate who is just 19 years old and she has been runner-up for the Carlos Palanca Kabataan Awards more than once. She's 7 years younger than I and I haven't even sent an entry. This is will be the catalyst for my nth quarter-life crisis.

No comments: